Wednesday, September 10, 2003

It was fun at the Dark Side Con in Recklinghausen. I stayed with some really wonderful people (rather than in a hotel) and got to hang out with an old friend (for a beer or three) as well.

It was quite a small event, and turnout was probably disappointing, but it was still more fun than just going to a trading fair. People were in a variety of fantasy costumes (not only Star Wars), and I got to judge a costume competition (once I had worked out the scoring system. I also heard Volker and Nicole singing a wonderful duet (I heard a rehearsal in the small hours first, then saw/heard it on stage). The hypnotist show brought down the roof with stomping and cheering and whooping from the very enthusiastic crowd.

A specially commissioned Darth Vader costume was given to Dave Prowse, who put it on for photos (it was the first time he had been in the costume for over 20 years.) This was a rare moment to witness - even if he was off (immediately afterwards) on his neverending tour of the world selling autographs. I signed a few pictures and posters and such, but Jabba isn't such a pull, really, so I am hardly going to give up the day job. Still, I got a free trip to Germany, and you can't argue with that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails