Saturday, March 06, 2004

Wow - that's amazing! I just looked in the guest book and found that Hadass had dropped in to visit. I guess anyone who has met me, or read anything I wrote, knows that I have spent more of my time 'dropped out' than safely settled.

I enjoyed it all, though it was intensely insecure...

One year I was unexpectedly made homeless - the people who had sub-let their house to me and Mick decided they didn't like teaching in Thailand (or wherever it was) and they came home abruptly one November. They even wanted to be 'back in their home for Christmas' but we said we had expected to live there for two years and needed at least that month to rehouse....So we stumbled through - and Mick and Pauline found other accommodation, while I decided that IF I only had £800 to my name, and had to either pay the Inland Revenue £800 in January, or put a deposit on some new rented place or just go optimistically crazy - went off to travel...

I failed to reach Turkey with my Finnish traveling companion, but instead I turned right in Switzerland and took an overnight train, to wake up alone in Barcelona. Fantastically right choice for me. I hung out there for a month or two (also renting a place in Sitges for a while) on that money...went back to the UK only long enough to get some juggling and magic gear, then returned to busk on The Ramblas and settle in.

Hadass was then one of the artists working in chalk on the Ramblas...and we became good friends...although I was probably in a pretty unstable state at the time...no fit state indeed...but I was truly desperate, and the street life culture was great (there weren't too many jugglers around back then) . Somehow the bohemian thing carried me through, with much joy and delight of living in the moment, and to hell with futures.

Yeh, I paid the Inland Revenue off next time I got a film job....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails