Saturday, September 04, 2004

Country Joe and The Fish

As I walk into work on a Saturday (while the Friday night revellers sleep on) I often listen to BBC2 Radio - "Sounds of the 60s". Now, mostly you will hear stuff to make you cringe - I can assure you (even if you don't much like The Beatles) that most of the music before them was truly awful pop, written by middle-aged men to grab young girl's pocket money, played by cynical or desperate middle-aged session musicians. I promise that Pop Idol and manufactured groups are not new.

However, sometimes there are little gems - and this morning it was "Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine" by Country Joe and The Fish. I got here, and immediately looked up Joe's website where you can hear "I Feel like I'm Fixin' To Die".

Now buying a couple of albums at Amazon (sigh) "Electric Music for the Mind and Body" and "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die". I know, I know, just allow an old man his memories of when you could score the real thing...pure molecules of sound, man.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails