Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I made it, already!

I have no idea quite how (or why) I have managed to write 50,000 words in two and a bit weeks, but I have.

Unlike last year, when I battled along, squeezing out the minimum necessary to make it to the end, this year I always knew roughly what I would have to write the next day.

No doubt the thing is still full of loose ends, ideas started and not completed, characters who either need filling in, or removing, more plot tension (people like tension apparently), and all that.

But that's for the editing and re-writing stage.

Last year I didn't even bother with that, as I knew it was merely a personal challenge, and not necessarily for others to read, or care about. It might have proved an interesting insight into what I can do in a panic, but it didn't seem worth the effort to re-package it.

This year I not only set myself a fictional goal, but feel willing to go back and rework it a bit. Not right now, but later on! Maybe I'll make another silly video!

I have to write an article for Kaskade now, and catch up on my Net Trainers' homework, and look after the doggie on my own (with Julie away for a few days) so I'll probably take a rest from the book for a moment.

But I finished it already! Yahoo and Yippee and all that jazz :-)

Someone immediately asked me what it was about.

What are your songs about?’ Bob Dylan was once asked.

‘Oh,’ he said, ‘some of them are about three minutes, some of them are about five minutes, and some of them, believe it or not, are about eleven minutes’.


My book is about 50,000 words...

3 comments:

Bobby Campbell said...

HAPPY CONGRATS!

Toby said...

Thanks Bobby!

This time I feel like I might give it some attention, and rewrite properly. I can feel loose ends, unresolved bits, missing bits, and (probably) bits I can cut out.

But I'll give it a rest, first, and try to enjoy November.

One Nano wrote THREE books in a month!

Toby said...

I have also had fun making primitive video clips, with inadequate equipment.

You can see them on Viddler, or in the Fun Stuff at NaNoWriMo.

Related Posts with Thumbnails